Elected Members Privacy Notice

This privacy notice relates to the personal data processed by the Elected Members for North Ayrshire Council. Each Elected Member is a registered Data Controller.

Elected Members discharge the duties and functions of an elected representative on North Ayrshire Council. As part of this work, they conduct constituency casework and respond to queries, for which it is necessary to process personal data of constituents.

We are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.

How do we process data?

Elected Members process data under the lawful basis of public task. In instances where this lawful basis is not sufficient and explicit consent is required, you will be contacted to establish your consent.

Will we share your data with anyone else?

If you have contacted an Elected Member about a personal or policy issue they may pass your personal data on to a third-party in the course of dealing with you, such as local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, NHS or other regulators.
Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only for the basis upon which they were originally intended.

For how long will you keep my personal data?

For as long as necessary to deal with the matter that you have raised. Some casework and policy queries are often revisited to provide the best service and representation for constituents, from whom we may continue to receive correspondence.

What rights do I have to my personal data?

At any point while in possession of or processing your personal data, you have the following rights:

  • Right of access to request a copy of the information that is held about you;
  • Right of rectification if data about you is held inaccurate or incomplete;
  • Right in certain circumstances to ask for data held about you to be erased;
  • Right in certain circumstances to restrict processing;
  • Right of portability. You can ask for data we hold to be transferred to another organisation;
  • Right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing; 
  • Right to object to automatic processing, including profiling and the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.

How can I contact somebody about my privacy?

You can get in touch with your Elected Member by letter, email or telephone and details can be found on our webpages by clicking here

Please note that you will be asked for identification should you choose to exercise any of the above rights in relation to personal data.

If an Elected Member refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason why.

You have the right to complain and can seek more information about your rights from the Information Commissioner’s Office.